Can you say 'mani pulite' at the Policlinico?

Numero di risposte: 100

Instructions

This is an open bilingual forum for students to share your experiences.  You can post in English or Italian. You don't have to participate if you don't want to. The questions are to get started:

How easy is it to wash your hands at Umberto I? 

How easy is it for the public? What about doctors, nurses and health care providers? 

Should the faculty of medicine be concerned?

The data in the table below compares hand cleansing alcohol rubs in Europe. Does the data in Italy surprise you? (You can find the complete report in Resources below)

EU Prevalence survey of hospital infections (2012)

In riposta a Primo intervento

Re: Can you say 'mani pulite' at the Policlinico?

di Huon Snelgrove -

Personally, I think a problem exists at Umberto I regarding hand hygiene simply because it is hard to find dispensers to wash your hands. For visitors it is a real problem. And what about you? 

In riposta a Huon Snelgrove

di Utente eliminato -

My first experience within the Polyclinic was negative about the lack of soap and alchool hand sanitizers. Then we certainly can not talk about clean hands inside the hospital. The figures in the table confirm this. It was very hard to find soap in the bathrooms. I've only found within the departments. For the public it is difficult to disinfect their hands. For this we must turn to nurses, doctors and medical staff. it is appropriate to improve the quality of a hospital insert distributors in the hallways, so as to be easily accessible to the public, accompanied by signs and stickers that promote hand washing. you can prevent various diseases with this gesture.

di nicholas viceconti -
Unfortunately, at Policlinico Umberto I there are poor facilities to put into practice ‘Mani Pulite’. In fact it is very difficult finding soap and blotting paper or alcohol-based gel dispensers, so both health care providers and visitors aren’t encouraged to adopt this simple, basic, hygienic rules. The faculty of medicine should be concerned about this problem, because students go back and forth from the hospital, so they need to wash their hands. 

Health care providers, visitors and students could carry their own gels with them, but in my opinion the hospital should provide for hygiene dispensers, because it is an easy way to prevent infections.

di chiara rizzardi -

I don't think that we can say "mani pulite" at Policlinico: most of the time both in the classrooms' toilets and in the hospital it's impossible to find soap or toilet paper. Unfortunately I am not surprised by the data in the tabe, and I think that Italian hospital should be more concerned about hygiene in their area.

di diletta tripi -

unfortunately it's not easy to wash the hands in the correct way at Umberto I because it's difficult to find soap in the bathrooms. I think it's difficult both for the visitors and for the students. Because of the huge number of people, the faculty and the hospital should be concerned and try to find a solution. The European data shows the problem at the Umberto I and in Italy; this problem can cause lots of infections so it's time to solve it.  

di stefania rucco -
I think that in the hospitals hand washing should be a rule, in the "Umberto I" this is not a rule and only a part of the medical troup or visitors pay attention to this, and this is a problem. 

di cristina ruscitti -

No, you can't say "mani pulite" at the Policlinico. Unfortunately, there is no soap in the toilets, neither in the corridors. Furthermore, I think that patients and visitors don't know the importance to wash theirs hands before visiting their loved one to prevent infections. There should be more information. 

di Utente eliminato -

I'd say that at the Umberto I  is hard to find the dispensers not only for visitors, but for students too. I've recently visited the Gemelli 's hospital because of my sister's pregnancy and I've remained very surprised : bathrooms were clean and alcool-based gels were available just outside every patient's door. And I was very happy to clean my hands just before taking care of my nephew!!  

di antonella piera paola vono -
No, I can't say "mani pulite" at the Policlinico! it's many difficult find soap dispenser that has been filled and paper wipes or alcohol based hygenic gels both in the hospital near the patient's room and in the bathroom for students and visitors. Often, when students do ADP they haven't clean hand and they can touch the patient or many patients in the same ADP whithout washing their hands. actually the Policlinico can't offer hygenic solutions both for students and visitors.

di giacomo sartori -
If you visit the Policlinico Umberto I you immediately notice tje lack of soap and alchol hand sanitizers, but as a student i am outraged of the absence of toilet papers in University's bathrooms, also because this is one of the most important universities in our country. The problem is complicated also by the fact that doctors and nurses don’t encourage both health care providers and visitors to adopt this simple, basic, hygienic rules as well as taking into account the general rule of cleansing their hands before examining a patient or touching tools. I, who have visited others hospitals as "Fate Bene Fratelli" and have studied Microbiology, am now more than ever attentive to washing my hands.

di vita zirpoli -

No, I can't say "mani pulite" at the Policlinico Umberto I. It's very  difficult for visitors and students to find full soap dispenders or alcohol-based hand sanitazer. In my experience like medical student, I've often found empty containers. But, in my first year of univerisity as a  nursing student,the hand- washing was the focus of lessons and internship. So, I can say that for doctors and nurses is easy to respect this "rule" even if It's ofter forgotten and most patients have not been given enough information about the importance of  mani pulite"

di giulia spina -

No, we can't say "mani pulite" at the policlinico, since often we can't find soap or gel in toilets. According to me the problem consists in the lack of soap in their dispensers and also in the low number of them in the hospital. 

di giuseppe spaziani -

Washing hands in the policlinico Umberto I is not easy. There is a general lack of soap dispensers, and in the departments I attended I never saw sanitizing gel dispensers. The same applies to the drying paper In my opinion this serious deficiency should be immediately filled. I also believe that there should be greater sensitivity of all health personnel to educate the families of patients visiting the hospital.

Ri: Re: Can you say 'mani pulite' at the Policlinico?

di nicole terlizzi -
In my personal experience (both as intern and patien)most of the times I've been in Policlinico I didn't easily find dispenser neither paper towel. Hospitals first should give the right example, and if you put up some warning posters about how important is cleaning my hands, but I can't do it because there's no gel or hand sanitizer or something else, then you're not solving the main problem at all.

di gianluca santoro -

unfortunately I can't say ''mani pulite at the policlinico'' especially now with Covid 19, hand hygiene has been left to personal initiative and to a generic reference to emergency decrees. My wife gave birth to our first daughter in the Gynecology Department in May and there were no dispensers for visitors.

di mariangela saracino -

In my opinion, I can say that isn't followed the policy of "mani pulite" at Policlinico extremely well.

It's rare to find full soap or alcohol-based gel dispensers in every hospital wards. In addition, hospital visitors or the same healthcare providers pay little attention on the issue. 

This behaviour and the lack of soap/alcohol-based gel in the hospital, can be risky for the patients, visitors, and healthcare providers health.

We all must pay more attention on the issue "mani pulite" at the Policlinico.

di sara ruggiero -

Unfortunately I can't say ''mani pulite'' at the Policlinico. Infact it's often impossible to find soap and toilet paper in the toilets of the hospital. Furthermore these things are difficult to find both in the hospital and in our classrooms. Unlucky I'm not surprise by the data in the tabe.

di giulia tatulli -
unfortunately I can't say ''mani pulite at the policlinico'' because there isn't a lot of control of the hygiene of visitors and medical students. For example, There aren't alcohol based hand sanitizers in the structure. i'm not surprised by the data in the tabe. Italian hospitals need more rules about hygiene.

di alessandra tomaselli -

sadly, i think that in the Policlinico, and also in many other hospitals in Italy, there is a problem with this type of hygienic practice. In fact sometimes it's hard to find soap in the toilets, for the staff and for visitors and patients, and even harder it's to find alcool disinfectant solution dispensers in the wards and in the hospital's hall. So i can't say Mani pulite. I wonder if this is an organisational problem or a economic resources matter, but I think that this hygienic activity could be an important way to improve healthcare in Italy .

di paola giuseppina sergi -

Even if is often impossible for students or patients' visitors find soap in their proper bathroom, in my experience I have always found soap and also alcool based gel in warms and corridors. However people are often shame to ask doctors to wash their hands before visiting their loves. At the same times, in my opinion, doctors should feel as duty respect this fundamental and basic rule.

di luca ruggiero -
Unfortunately , in the hospital Umberto I, it's hard to say "mani pulite " because of lack of soap and disinfectant gel. This discomfort should not occur in such a big hospital and important. More prevention and less disinformation .

di fadia salman -

We have been medical students  almost two years now, and the times we found soap in the bathroom are so few, you could count them on the fingers of one hand, so we cannot say "mani pulite". Personally we find this unaccetable.

But, for example,yesterday we went to the neurosurgery intensive care ward and we noticed the availability of  alcohol-based gel dispensers,that the health care providers and visitors have the obligation to use. But we cannot be sure that this happens in all the wards,we hope so. We think that the faculty of medicine must be concerned about many aspects of hygiene from the soap in the bathrooms to the use of the white coats outside the hospital. We hope that sooner or later these simple expedients will be followed by everyone.

Alessandra Putti e Fadia Salman

di alessandra putti -

We have been medical students  almost two years now, and the times we found soap in the bathroom are so few, you could count them on the fingers of one hand, so we cannot say "mani pulite". Personally we find this unaccetable.

But, for example,yesterday we went to the neurosurgery intensive care ward and we noticed the availability of  alcohol-based gel dispensers,that the health care providers and visitors have the obligation to use. But we cannot be sure that this happens in all the wards,we hope so. We think that the faculty of medicine must be concerned about many aspects of hygiene from the soap in the bathrooms to the use of the white coats outside the hospital. We hope that sooner or later these simple expedients will be followed by everyone.

Alessandra Putti Fadia Salman

di giulio shah -

I can' t say "mani pulite" at the Policlino becuase just few people cares about this small but important action. I think we can link this problem to the misinformation in the hospital and sometimes because of lack of hygiene products.

In riposta a giulio shah

di biagio scotti -

In my opinion the problem of washing hands and hygiene, despite simple and banal in itself, is very realistic in the Policlinico. Sometimes it's difficult to find soap and paper at the toilet, as well as in the rest of the faculty: this is not the best way to provide infection. In addiction doctors and nurses walk outside wearing the same lab coats and other things, that then reintroduce in the hospital. The date doesn't surprise me.

di erika silvi -

I personally think our Policlinico couldn't be farther from the idea of "Mani pulite"...and to say there is a lack of hygene and hand sanitizers would be an understatement. Both doctors and nurses don't seem to take into account the general rule of cleansing their hands before examining a patient or touching tools. The problem should be tackled at its root by simply teaching from the early days of medical school how hygene is of the utmost importance to help prevent the spreading of potentially deadly diseases, which could be avoided just with a quick gesture. Furthermore, not only do healthcare providers often neglect sanitizing, but it is also difficult for patients to find soap dispensers that actually contain soap (they're almost always empty). Hospitals should face this problem and upgrade their hygenical standars, so as to reach European levels.

di caterina rossi -
According to my experience I can't say it's easy to wash your hands at Policlinico Umberto I. You can't find soap dispensers in bathroom and neither in patient rooms and even if you find them they are often empty. This is a problem firstly for patients but also for the public, doctors, nurses and health care providers who couldn't be able to wash their ands before touching patients in case of emergency. 

Both the faculty of medicine and hospital authorities should consider that the issue of patients being constantly exposed to visitors and medical staff could cause the spread of diseases of all kinds. Therefore they should be urged to take immediate action and improve hygienic standard.

Looking at the data in the table I am not surprised but I can also say that there are hospital in our country which provide alcohol and soap dispensers and to whom our hospital should look after.

di anna raimondi -

Unfortunately we can't say "mani pulite" at the policlinico because is very hard found a soap dispenser. Infact the visitors can't wash their hands before or after visiting someone. In Italy this is a problem for many hospital. There should be more strict rules about hygiene in hospital.

di erika serò -

Unluckly is't not so simple to find a soap dispenser in the Umberto I pavilions, so I can't say mani pulite at the policlinico. In quality of student of the faculty of medicine, I notified that more and more people are conscious of the italian hospitals situation and supply to resolve this problem carrying personal hands gel from their home. This is the principal cause because I'm not surprised of the data in the table, even if I didn't think that Italy was in the last position, after other countries less igienyc for costums and traditions.

di maria zelano -

If we consider the very low frequency with which you find soap and toilet paper in the bathrooms of University classrooms or alcohol disinfectant solution dispensers in the wards and in the Hospital's hall, yes, unfortunately we cannot say “Mani Pulite" at the Umberto I.
Recently one of my colleague and I made an eight-hour shift at the Emergency Room and we had a lot of inconvenience to wash or disinfected our hands, because of the lack of of soap and disinfectant gel nearby where we were.
This is not incredible in a Hospital?
I think it is a bit shameful.

di caterina sbarigia -

In my experience started about two years ago at the Policlinico, it's very hard to find a bathroom properly equipped with soap or hand gel. This problem affects not only doctors and nurses, but also all those people who daily attend at the hospital like patients, visitors or employees. Also, due to the large size of the structure, hands hygiene has become one of the main risk factors for infections. For these reasons I think that first of all it's necessary to daily monitor and supply the bathrooms with soap, and then to correctly inform doctors and nurses, so that they can give the good example.

di arenta shkelqimi -

Unfortunately , no. Considering the few cases I have found soap or hand sanitizer in the restrooms of Policlinico , the data is not surprising at all . No medical staff or patients are to be blamed if the ones who are responsible do not provide these simple means. Although many of us carry with ourselves hand gel, if is shameful for one of the greatest hospitals in Italia to lack a basic thing as hygiene . 

di anna savio -

To say "mani pulite" to the Polyclinic, is really a utopia. The problem is at the root, we could avoid transmitting many infections if only we made a very simple gesture, like the one to wash our hands, but all this is made impossible by the lack of hand sanitizers in the structure; In fact, for people to find in the corridors of the sanitizing dispensers is impossible. It should therefore encourage healthcare workers to create distributors that allow people to wash their hands, and ensure that these structures are clearly visible and numerous. All this is necessary and should take place to prevent many infections.

di ines qyteti -
I can't say 'mani pulite' because unfortunately, the Policlinico, most of the time doesn't provide the necessary materials for patients and visitors hand hygiene. Not only restrooms don't have soap, but also sometimes doctors and patients seem to neglect the importance of hand hygiene. This is a major drawback considering the high number of nosocomial infections patients can receive while in the hospital. Since Policlinico is one of the biggest and most important hospitals in the city and since it is visited every day by hundreds of patients and students, it is essential to provide each restroom of the with soap and encourage visitors, patients, health care providers and medical students to wash their hands as often as possible. 

di francesca riccio -

In my opinion, I think that it is too difficult for everyone in our hospital to find soap in bathrooms or alcohol based gel in patients rooms. This lack of hygiene means spreading of germs and infections and causes huge problems every day both for patients and for the hospital staff. As far as the faculty of medicine in concerned, i think that every student, before becoming a doctor, should be trained about prevention techniques and should understand how a simple act like washing their hands could change the patient's healing process. 

Unfortunately this is a common problem in the most of hospitals in Italy so I am not surprised at all by the data which appears in the table. 

di chiara scorziello -

I can't say "mani pulite" at the Policlinico Umberto I. In the classroom's toilet I rarely find soap or toilet paper,

for what I have seen finding soap or toilet paper is very difficult in the wards' toilets of the hospital too. I think the lack of 

hygienical measures is a serious probem.

di juri terribile -

i can't say "mani pulite" at Policlinico, often in our classroom and sometimes in certain room in the hospital we can find a lack of soap or toilet papers. 

we can address to a bad organization but also to  little economics funds which most of the times are used for other aspects and elements . However in this way the problem of hygiene is underrated.

di francesca scannapieco -

Personally, i can say that finding soap or alcohol based cleansers is difficult in Policlinico and the dispensers are few for so many people, such as doctors, nurses, visitors and patients. Moreover, the faculty of Medicine is concerned with this problem because also the bathrooms near the classrooms are not well-equipped; in my opinion, hand hygiene should be one of the first teachings because it must become an automatic mechanism. For all these reasons, i am not surprised by the Italian data in the table which compares hand cleansing alcohol rubs in Europe.

di tania soriano -

it is really hard to find soap or gel to wash hands in the hospital bathrooms or hallways. i often use my gel and invite my collegues to do the same. i think it's important that we medical students are attentive to issues and are committed to improve this situation, for ourselves and for patients

di giovanna zeppa -
I can't say "mani pulite" at Policlinico Umberto I. I'm just having my first experience, but it's enough to notice that very often hygienic conditions are far from being appropriated. Everyone can see that.  Also, it's hard to wash hands, because I haven't always seen an immediate accessibility to hygienic care for public, students, nurses and doctors; the data of alcohol hand rub consumption in Italy don't surprise me at all. I think the faculty of Medicine should be concerned because hygiene is the first health's request, especially in a big complex as Policlinico Umberto I.

di sveva viola -

In my opinion, unfortunately, i can't say '' mani pulite'' at Policlinico Umberto I. There should be more strict rules about hospital behaviour. I think it's impossible to find a clean bathroom with soap or hand gel as it's impossible to see an Health Care provider without the typical lab coat, normally used to visit the patient, walking around the hospital and visiting common places and then come back inside the structure. I think the real problem is not only the lack of economic funds but also the lack of health education. 

Looking at the data, i am not surprised.

In riposta a sveva viola

di daniele scuto -

I can't say "mani pulite" at Umberto I hospital because the condition of the hospital doesn't allow a correct hygiene; there are too many old and run-down structures which won't be renovated and a serious lack of health care education in health care providers

di guglielmo vetere -
Personally I think that in Policlinico Umberto I is quite hard to find soap or alcohol-based gel dispensers. In fact firstly for the doctors and health care providers and secondly for the visitors and patients should be a real concern: the infections' incidence is really high, especially in a medical environment like Umberto I is! That being said I hope that in the next few years a solution can be found, it should not be difficult and primarily should have been a real issue since the first time the problem was found out. Certainly another issue that has to be fixed in terms of hygiene is related to health care providers who do not change their clothing between the daily ones and the white jacket while entering and exiting their hospital. This should not happen, definitely.

In my personal experience, I'm not surprised by the serious lack of hand sanitizers consumption in Italy.

di valerio solari -

In my opinion, it's very difficult to say "mani pulite" at the Policlinico. Finding soap dispensers seems more like a treasure hunt: it's a bad situation not only for patients and visitors, but also for students and health care providers. This is a serious problem, because there's a high risk of taking infections for everybody.
The data doesn't surprise me, because we can find a similar situation also in other hospitals all around Italy.

di silvia stocco -

From my own experiencethere is a big problem at the policlinico Umberto I relating the hand hygiene. It's not easy for visitors or students to find a clean bathroom and in most of cases the soap's containers are in fact empty. To avoid this lack, I have to bring my own alcohol-based hand sanitizer, but I recognise that not everyone could have one.  
As for doctor and nurses, all the times I went into a ward as medical student I personally met competent people who always made me wash my hands before entering in the patient's rooms. I even remember that the first time I had varnish on my nails and the doctor warned me not to put it on during the next visits, because it can be vehicle of virus and bacteria.  
I am concerned but not surprise about the Italian situation about hand cleansing alcohol rubs. I think it could be a good idea to introduce visual cues on hand hygiene compliance also in our hospitals.

di Francesco Maria Sacco -

Definitely I can't say mani pulite at the Policlinico and this is due to a lack both of soap dispensers or alcohol based hand sanitizers and knowledge about hand hygiene. For this reason it's very difficult to wash hands especially for the public, because dispensers are often empty but also for students attending special classes within the hospital departments, because the doctors do not often give them something to wash their hands. Health care providers should perfectly know everything about hand hygiene and both doctors and nurses should collaborate to spread these informations among other health care providers who do not give much importance to hand hygiene and help the development of nosocomial infections. Sapienza's faculty of Medicine could also be concerned about this topic promoting courses about general hygiene or seminaries about the important role of hand hygiene in preventing infections in hospitals. Looking at the data about hand cleansing alcohol rubs, the situation about Italy does not surprise me a lot because tv news often tell about the increasment of hospital infections deaths. 

di erica rosati -

Surely I can not say " mani pulite" at the Policlinico. Most of the visitors  toilets are not provided of soap dispenser and even if they are, the dispender is quite always empty.So I think is very difficult as a visitor to wash hands and have a correct hand hygiene . As a student , I had the possibility  to enter in some patient rooms and I saw alcohol based sanitizers just in those wards that maybe  need more strict hygiene measures like the intensive care ward, anyway no doctors told us to wash our hands before touching the patient or any object of the room that we could contaminate, and overall we all know about the risk of the nosocomial infections . If it's hard to wash your hands in the hospital, finding soap in the faculty is quite impossible but since we study in a medicine faculty it would be important , from the very first years to educate us, by lessons or some seminaries, about the importance of the hygiene and most of all the hands hygiene to prevent the infection spread. 

I'm not surprised about the Italy situation described by the data that compares hand cleansing alcohol rubs in Europe. I hope will reach soon, at least, the same results of the other european countries.

di dani velkobroda -

As far as it concerns me, i would say Umberto I has a huge problem!

No soap in bathrooms, very small amount of dispensers are spread around each floor etc etc..

We should try to change the existing colture.. because the compromise of today is norm of tomorrow!

di lucio santoro -

I can't say "many pulite" at the Policlinico because I never  found soap in the hospital. I think is important inform the doctors, nursers and health care about the basic services of prevention.

di sara trivigno -

I can't say "mani pulite" at Umberto I. This basic hygienic rule seems to be secondary, there!! It is difficult to respect this rule because there is no soap in the bathrooms!!! Visitors don't wash their hands in Policlinico because they don't find soap and they don't use alcohol-based gel dispensers,either. And doctors? I hope they wash their hands before and after visiting their patients!!! But sometimes they forget that!

It's a problem that concernes the faculty of medicine: each medical student studies that washing his hands is the first important rule to respect in order to prevent the spread of infections. The data in the table confirm that Policlinico and the whole of Italy have to become better in the domain of hand hygiene, in order to equal other European countries.

di chiara romano -

Sadly I can't say "mani pulite" in Policlinico and the figures on the table confirmes what happens in reality. It's very hard to find soup or other disinfectants not only in the hospital but also in most of the structures added to the hospital.The problem doesn't concern only founding soup but also paper towels. It's necessary to improve this aspect because most of infections are caused by germs taken by visitors to patients but also by the health staff. We need absolutely soap or other igienic products in the toilettes together with paper towels and also vending machines about soup or other disinfectants allocated around all the hospital.

di giulia sarti -
I don't think we can say ''mani pulite'' at policlinico Umberto I. First of all it's not easy to find a bathroom in this structure and if you're enough lucky to find it, it's dirty and without soap. Furthermore I haven't seen so much alcohol based hand sanitizers in the hospital. So if it's not so easy for me, as a student, to wash my hands, i think it's more difficult for patient's relatives or friends.. even though because they don't think about clean their hands! So I think that not only medical students should care about hygiene, but also visitors.

di Utente eliminato -
unfortunately, i can't say " mani pulite " at the policlinico.

wash my hands in the hospital is very difficult,because  in our Policlinico there are not enough gel dispensers and handbasins provided with soap for the health care professionals and patients’ visitors. i'm not surprised by the data in the tabs.                              Italian hospitals, should be more interested and concerned about people health and about the methods to preserve it. 

di livia valeri -

Regrettably I  can’t  say “mani pulite at policlinico” because it’s very rare to find a toilet near classrooms filled with soap and toilet paper . Also in the hospital, there aren’t dispensers where you can wash your hands.  I am not surprised about Italy’s data but I am really concerned with this situation and Policlinico too should be.

di erika sabellico -

Unfortunately I can't say "mani pulite" at Policlinico Umberto I. 
Often it is really hard to find soap or alcohol based cleaners to wash hands in the hospital bathrooms or hallways. Likewise it is extremely difficult to find them in the rest of the faculty.
I'm not surprised by the data in the tabs and I think that Italian hospitals should improve seriously the situation adopting more rigorous rules about hygiene in these public structures.

di costanza viola -

Unfortunately, hand hygiene is really hard to maintain at the policlinico, because soap and paper are almost always absent in public restrooms, both in ones of the classrooms and in ones of the hospital, and alcohol-based hand cleanser dispensers ... i've never seen one.

Then it is obvious that for visitors, but even for health care providers, having clean hands is really hard, and our faculty should be very concerned about it.

The data reported in the table are embarassing.
I am always less surprised by seeing Italy compared to backward countries, these are our conditions: no soap in the toilets and pigeons in the hallways. 

di noemi salerno -

Personally, I think that is impossible to say "mani pulite" at Policlinico, because in my experience I have noticed that it is very difficult finding soap and blotting paper or alcohol-based gel dispensers. 

So I think that patients, doctors, students and visitors alike are not sufficiently encouraged to apply this basic and simply hygienic technique.

di agnese sordi -

Unfortunately I can’t say “many pulite” at the Policlinico because the hygienical conditions are not the best.

It’s fundamental that in a big hospital such as Policlinico, the hygiene is the first thing that must be respected in order to work and nurse in a proper way.

When I walk around the Policlinico, I rarely find soap and toilet paiper in the bathroom.

Furthermore, I usually find dirty sink and toilet.

This is dangerous for the patients, who can get worse because of the terrible bathrooms conditions.

I'm not surprised about Italy data, and I hope that we'll improve in a better way.

di flavia raponi -

As far as it concerns me, I can not say " mani pulite" at the Policlinico. In my experience I have noticed that it is very difficult finding soap or alcohol-based gel dispensers in the hospital. This is a problem firstly for patients but also for doctors, nurses and Health Care providers who couldn't be able to wash their hands before touching patients in case of emergency. There should be more strict rules about hygiene in hospital. I'm not surprised about Italy data.

di chiara rossi -
My experience at the Policlinico has taught me that the situation is different in the various departments. Although there are few soap dispenser and other resources there are doctors who use them before and after touching patients while others do not this. So in my opinion to say "Mani pulite" at the Policlinico depends not only on the availability of soap dispenser or alcohol-based solutions but also on the number of doctors, nurses and other health workers who make proper use. First of all we must start from a good education of health care providers about hygiene to prevent serious infections.

di luigi tramonte -

I think that the expression “mani pulite” can’t be completely linked with Umberto I since it isn’t easy to wash our hands in the wards or after an assessment. Doctors or nurses often forget the normal rules of hand hygiene becoming the first cause of many bacterial or nosocomial infections in the hospital. The lack of following this simple rule reflects medical students’ beahviour and for this reason the faculty should be concerned.

di Alessandra Salvatori -

Well, based on my personal experience we absolutely cannot say "mani pulite" at Policlinico. I mean, it's more usual not to find soap than the contrary. I really have never seen public alcohol-based gel dispensers, not in hallways and neither in the toilets. So it is not as easy as we may think (even if it actually should be that easy) to be able to wash properly our hands. The map we have here in this forum can confirm my theory about it! We are one f the few country that still hasn't make a change about it even if everyone knows the situation (it would be clear to everyone just hanging around the departments or chatting with students or doctors). I think that we should be concerned about it, not just for the infections' risk but also (and most of all) for the  concept behind it, that consists on the impatience and apathy of Italians in general about what could make this country bigger and brighter.

di gloria Rita -

No, unfortunately I can't say "mani pulite" at the Polyclinic "Umberto I" nor in many other hospitals in my town. It is so hard to find soap or alchool based gels to wash our hands and it is even harder to find paper to avoid touching knobs and handles. This problem is undeniable, especially  in the lergest sanitary structures, in which the risk of acquiring nosocomial infections is higher due to the large number of inmates, visitors, students and healthcare professionals. 

di amelia spanò -

In my hometown (Trapani- Sicily) is a small provincial hospital. It is really small compared to the polyclinic. nevertheless in front of each room there is the ingenizzante hand gel. I wonder why, in a hospital so much bigger and with so many patients, in 2016 still is not possible to be "cutting edge." Yet our professor of microbiology they have talked so much about the many infections that are repeated cyclically in this center. Infertility is not a strong point, that's for sure. I hope we can improve as soon as possible and for us students, for those who work, in particular for those who are ill.

di laura serafini -

Personally, I think it's difficult say "mani pulite" at Policlinico Umberto I. Often missing soap in the bathrooms and even alcohol soap dispensers. This in certainly an important problem for health care providers, visitors and also students. Not only the faculty of medicine should be concerned, but everyone because the discomfort and the risk of infection are real. 

di maryam mohammadhosseinpour razlighi -

I can't say 'mani pulite' because unfortunately, the Policlinico, most of the time doesn't enough the necessary materials hygiene for patients e people. . Since Policlinico is one of the biggest and most important hospitals in the city and since it is visited every day by hundreds of patients and students, it is essential to provide each restroom of the with soap and encourage visitors, patients, health care providers and medical students to wash their hands as often as possible. Although there are few soap dispenser and other resources there are doctors who use them before and after touching patients while others do not this. .So in my opinion to say "Mani pulite" at the Policlinico depends not only on the availability of soap dispenser or alcohol-based solutions but also on the number of doctors, nurses and other health workers who make proper use. First of all we must start from a good education of health care providers about hygiene to prevent serious infections.

di claudia solimeo -

I went a few times in the departments of the Umberto 1 hospital, so I do not know if the doctors, patients and their visitors easily manage to keep their hands clean. But classrooms where we, medical students, follow the lessons are also in the hospital, and it is really hard to keep your hands sanitized because they often lack the soap in the bathrooms. Often the emergency room is full of people, but I've never seen soap despencer. So I think that I can't say "mani pulite" at the Policlinico Umberto 1!

di Clara Scopelliti -

It is very difficult to comply with hygiene rules in the Polyclinic;

Hygiene rules are rarely respected at the hospital: this is mainly due to the lack of soap in the tolets and the attitude of the patients and visitors not to wash their hands.

Sure. We learn so much about the importance of cleaning hands but, pratically, it does not happen.

Yes. I'm impressed. 

di sofia vecchioni -

Honestly until now I haven't had so much experience into an actual ward at the Policlinico, but the only time I had to measure a patient's blood pressure for an exam, I wasn't asked by anyone to wash my hands, despite the fact I obviously had to touch the patient to do it. I don't recall seeing any gel dispenser in the ward either. I also attended some lesson in the Policlinico's classrooms and I'm sure there wasn't any soap in the bathroom's dispenser, which, moreover, was a visitors/patients/students shared bathroom, a circumstance that, in my opinion, makes the situation even more worrying. So I think it's pretty evident that there's a hands cleaning problem at the Policlinico.

There's no need to say that the table's data doesn't surprise me in the slightest. I think the problem is actually both practical and cultural. Practical 'cause there isn't actually the soap to clean your hands with. Cultural 'cause there isn't enough information about the importance of hands cleaning and there aren't any rules to promote its implementation. So I think that if we want to change things we should take action on both sides, 'cause solving only one of these two problems wouldn't change anything at all.

di emma zuppi -

I attended Policlinico Umberto I just for some days, so I could see only a part of the enormous Hospital. The first thing that has caught my attention was the toilets’ hygiene status. In fact toilets were dirty, they missed soap, alcohol based cleaners, paper and what people should find in a public toilet. Despite this, the condition of private spaces, reserved to doctors and nurses, offered the possibility to wash hands and not only putting them under the water. Luckily the health staff cares about hygiene because people who work in Hospital understand the importance of being sanitized, clean, disinfected before visiting a patient. Relatives and friends that come to have a look and assist their dear people should have the same possibility to demonstrate respect. Can we ask to those paying attention when they wash their hands if there isn’t any soap in toilets? Students and parents can mourn this bad condition but complaints aren’t enough because the status of hygiene in Umberto I is not changing.

di sara sanguedolce -

In my opinion we can not possibly talk about "mani pulite" in Policlinico. Doctors and nurses do not respect the rules of hygiene in the hospital walking outdoors with their uniforms. In the building the tools are not found to comply with the rules of hygiene, we speak of a clean environment, the presence of soaps in the bathrooms and sterile facilities.

di robert ionut savu -

The lack of soap and alcohol based cleansers is a pretty embarrassing problem. The Policlinico "Umberto I" is one of the biggest hospitals in Rome and it should guarantee the safety of patients, health care providers and visitors. That is clearly impossible without an appropriate way to wash our hands. We should be safeguarded and protected and that is why washing hands is a real problem for all of those people that enter the Policlinico, that are part of its staff or study in its classrooms. Considering the proposition from above, I (we) can't say "mani pulite" at the Policlinico.

di alessia russo -

According with my personal experience when I need to wash my hands I often do not find the necessary dispensers within the hospital. I can guess that this problem is not concerning only me, but also the entire medical staff and students inside the Policlinico. In every department there is this grievous lack. In my opinion the presence of soup dispenser is absolutely necessary to the manteinance of a good degree of hygiene inside not only in the crowded places of the hospital, but above all in environments that have to be necessary sterile. Maybe a major awareness through the patients and the relating visitors could be useful because actually when they can use the soap they do not use it.

di rosalba santoro -

Every day, Policlinico hospital receives hundreds of people for different reasons but, as the experience teaches me, they don't have enough occasions to wash their hands neither with soap nor with alcohol-based. This means that patients whose immune response is inadequate, are exposed to a high number of infections.

Personally, I think that this risk could be largely avoided by spreading the importance of washing hands before and after the visit. This message could be instill not only between patients and visitors but also between health care providers, nurses and doctors that, working in the hospital, can catch on their skin every kind of potential pathogens and transmit it.

As far as I am concerned, I strongly believe that an adequate hygienic regime can guarantee to avoid the onset of post-surgical complication or generally speaking infections.

di federica rosi -

This is my little experience at the Policlinico. When in January I visited my little cousin in pediatric ward I saw very clean restrooms; moreover inside each room of that baby patients there was alcohol-based hand sanitizer dispenser that guarantees an accurate hand hygiene to the visitors. In my opinion washing your hands is something that just makes sense.

di elisa tiracorrendo -

There are two years that I attend the Polyclinic. At the beginning of this experience I would say that it was not possible to say "man pulite" at the Polyclinic. But starting to attend the department and generally more the Polyclinic, the problem is not mainly for doctors. I noticed that they have alcohol-based gels, they are probably less exposed to infection problems. The real problem is for patients and kin of patients. Guests in the Polyclinic haven't soap dispensers on the walls or directions to find them or just in the bathroom. So they can safely infect some of their dear ones. The simplest solution is to make possible for everyone to wash their hands and make people aware of the importance of this simple act.

di emanuele sammartini -

According to my personal experience, it is not uncommon to wash your hands in the Polyclinic Umberto I departments (at least those I have visited with my eyes), because all the healthcare staff are available hand alcohol rub dispensers in all rooms for all doctors, nurses and care providers; less accessible these systems are to the public (especially in public lanes), and often there are no soaps in the bathrooms. This should also affect the faculty of medicine for better training and more protection for our students, because often in the bathrooms of the university I have found the already mentioned shortcomings.
Looking at the table below, the data I highlight does not surprise me. Probably the Polyclinic Umberto I and other Italian hospitals have been sensitized to this problem and have adequate countermeasures; despite this obviously most hospitals are little aware of this problem

di rosa claudia stasio -

Unfortunately, at Policlinico there are few devices that permit to wash hands in patient’s rooms.  We cannot say “mani pulite” because finding soap or alcool is too difficult in order to prevent many nosocomial infections for patiens and their relatives too. If some simple actions such as clean surfaces and hands carefully can reduce this type of problem, we need to pay attention and bring our own gels until the hospital doesn’t  solve the problem.

di martina santopietro -

It’s difficult to say "clean hands" to the Policlinico because it’s a very large hospital but with a small amount of materials. Many times they try to fill this gap with posters that sensitize and remind relatives of patients to wash their hands and even doctors try to follow a protocol. In my opinion is important to be educated on the problem of dirty hands because many diseases can be stopped by careful washing of hands.

di vincenzo riccardi -
I did medical practise at policlinico Umberto I a few times and i verified that doctors could easily wash their hands during patient visits. I can not say the same for patients cause they couldn't find soap in all toilets. After seeing the hand cleansing alcohol rubs data in Italy I'm not surprised cause I believe that there's an italian hygiene problem in whashing hands.

di sara tarantino -

I think cleaning hands at Policlinico is difficult, especially for patiens, visitors to patients and students. Doctors and nurses have the possibility to wash their hands, but others people can't do this because of the lack of soap or alcohol-based gel dispensers. And I see this problem concern other italian hospitals, too. I studied for a period in Portugal and I noticed that it was very easily to find alcohol-based gel dispensers, they were in each floor and room of the hospital. So, I am not surprised to see that data about Italy.

di marica vavallo -

Speaking about "mani pulite" at Umberto I, in my opinion, the situation should be improved increasing dispensers presents in much more public areas of the hospital in order to facilitate the use by every subject, i.e. health care providers, patients and their relatives.

The faculty of medicine must empower students spreading the culture of hand wash and hygiene. 

di emanuele scarpa -

I believe not, and the main reason is the lack of soap and alcohol-based sanitizer in wards and toilets. For the public is even more difficult to wash their hands, given that their toilets  is more messed up than the ones for healthcare personal only. The Umberto I should start to think about a solution because hygiene is fundamental in a big hospital as it is at home, if not more given the amount of nosocomial infections a patient can contract. Of course, if we speak about special departments such as Neurosurgery, Haematology or Intensive Care, the hygiene standards are way higher; you cannot enter without permission and without being sanitized (that includes washing your hands). 

di carolina rainaldi -

In the areas I visited I noticed no dispensers at all and nobody invited me to clean my hands. Even considering I went there just twice and I met just a couple of patients nobody in the group I was part of, adopted any hygenical precautions (at least as far as I saw).

Considering what I wrote above, datas in the ECDC graphic don't surprise me.

Referring to the importance of nosocomial infections I suppose faculty of medicine should be deeply concerned. As far as I tested some teachers provided us correct information during the lessons but every concern seems to desappear once you get to the Umberto I. 

In my opinion main responsability is to be referred to the Umberto I management; surely clearer and more visible informations (and more dispensers too), both for visitors and health care providers, would be helpfull in reducing the risk of infections. 

di ludovica sgamba -

Washing your hands at Umberto I isn't that easy... Many toilets do not dispose of soap or hand sanitizers. This is a problem, therefore I truely believe it must be solved as quickly as possible, starting by acknowledging the fact.

di claudia ricci -

Unfortunately, lack of soap or alcohol-based sanitizer at Umberto I make it difficult to wash your hands every time you need it. To avoid infections health care providers should make patients and parents aware of the importance of washing their hands properly. Moreover,  patients and parents should play an active role in reminding doctors and nurses to wash their hands just before visiting them in order to prevent infections in the hospital.

di benedetta de fabrizio -

After an experience of three years, I can affirm that in "Policlinico Umberto I" there aren't gel dispensers in the rooms and common spaces. For this reason there are some incorrect behaviors: healthcare personnel, patients and familiars cannot wash their hands. This could be dangerous for them because they could contract infections. 

di lucrezia spagnoli -

I don't think that washing your hands at Policlinico Umberto I is easy, because you can't easily find alcohol-based gel dispensers or soap in the bathrooms, which I find very bad for everyone in the hospital, but mostly for patients who often have a compromised immunitary sistem. I really think that the faculty of medicine should be concerned, as well as the direction of the hospital. That said, the Italy's data doesn't surprise me, because I think that our sanitary sistem is lacking in many aspects.

di andrea riserbato -

I've been to the hospital only twice and I have not noticed soap dispensers or alcohol-based sanitizers.

No one has ever even asked doctors, nurses and health care providers to wash their hands or I have seen them take hygienic precautions.

Certainly the medical faculty should be concerned about this by referring to the possibility of transmitting nosocomial infections.

So, seeing the data expressed in the table, this does not surprise me.

di marisole toni -

I don't think it is correct to say "mani pulite" at the Policlinico Umberto I. This   afirmation is due to the observation of lack of soap and alchool-based hand gel dispensers in many parts of the hospital. This Hygienic deficiency -as some of my collegues wrote - is evident also in some toilets for visitors.

I don't think it is corresponding actually to a generalized lack of hygiene; I believe Policlinico is a high level Hospital. It seems to me instead this health  care protocol is just understimated. Of course these simple, but very important observances should be completely respected.

di tommaso saccucci -

I think we can't say "mani pulite" at the Policlinico. Infact, it is difficult to find soap dispensers in the corridors and also soap and paper are missing in many washrooms.

di gabriele tornese -

We surely cannot say 'mani pulite' in Policlinico, in fact there's an important lack of many of the main rules for the correct hygiene in a public structure: one of the main lack is the difficulty to find a soap dispenser in most of the hospital wards, a thing that force doctors and students to carry an alcohol sanitizer from home. Besides it, another big problem in policlinico is the custom of the medical staff to get out from the hospital wearing on medical gown in areas which are not surely sanitized.

Ri: Can you say 'mani pulite' at the Policlinico?

di andrea spallino -

Is not so easy find Alcohol based hand sanitizers dispenser in the common locals at the policlinico; as well as there's shortage of visual cues and posters to promote hand hygene compliance. In any case i think that the problem is in a superior, privios step.

di piero serra -

It's not so easy say mani pulite at the Policlinico. In my experience many times I did not found soap in the toilet, and I think that the same problem has been for visitors, who came in the ospital for visiting their relatives without washing their hands and, after the visit, go out from the hospital without washing their hands. during the APP (the pratical activities for students) not often we washed our hands with alchol gel or soap, expecially in the  ambulatory. but instead in surgical areas (for example vascular surgery) or more critic areas ( infectious disease), the doctors also taught us how to wash our hands. so I suppose that this could be also a cultural problem. Now, during this covid19 pandemic, I think that all the people, not only doctors, nurses or health care providers, are becoming more aware about this problem and I want to be optimistic for a not far future where we'll say mani pulite at the Policlinico.

di donatella starnino -

Unfortunately I can't say "mani pulite " at the Policlinico. It's very difficult to find soap or alcoolic gel in or out of the rooms, for patiens, visitors and students too. Besides, if there are dispensers, they often aren't provided or steadly changed becoming self-defeating.   

di martina turchetta -

During the covid emergency, many dispensers of cleaning rub solution have been placed in rooms and along the corridors. All can use them: patients, visitors and health care providers. Before the covid emergency, there was no attention to this problem. So, the data doesn’t surprise me.

di saeedeh ranjbar -

Unfortunately I should agree with my classmates , thats not easy to have a standard hygiene in the environment deprive of soaps and hand sanitizers , so my answer is no we cant say mani pulite in umberto 1