EBM Presentations/Feedback

EBM Presentations/Feedback

di Huon Snelgrove -
Numero di risposte: 0

Dear Students,

On the Moodle web page I have summarized all the feedback from student presentations in past exams. You will find this feedback in section 3: 'EBM Presentation Guide'. Remember to read this carefully and to compare your presentation draft with the notes in this section. Every detail counts. For example, if you give a medical definition without citing an authoritative source on your slides you will lose 1 mark. So try to follow this guide as closely as you can. There are 15 descriptors and each is 1/30.

Following your presentation, I will ask you some general questions about 'evidence-based medicine.To answer the questions about 'evidence' you should study the EBM resources. Question types in the oral exam include,

for example:

1. List the clinical  'study designs' you know.

2. What kinds of clinical questions do RCTs answer? Systematic Reviews answer? Cohort studies answer ? etc

3. What kinds of bias in clinical research can you describe to me? 

4. Can you refer to any examples of bias from the evidence in your presentation?

5. How would you define 'EBM"?

6. What are the strengths, but also limits of modern EBM?

7. What does EBM mean to you as a future doctor?

You should bring all your full text papers on a pen drive to the oral exam. That means  a minimum of 10 full text pdf papers for a single presenter (with at least 8 primary studies), or 15+ minimum full texts for 2 presenters. Abstracts to not count in these calculations, but may be useful when the full text is hard to find. You should use BIDS and ACNP (the library services) to retrieve full text papers.

Finally, you must organize your bibliographies for the exam using a bibliographic software (Mendeley, Zotero, or similar). You can download these for free from the Moodle website or go to Google.

I have send you the exact location and times of the exam from INFOSTUD ( see also list below)

Buon Lavoro!

Huon Snelgrove