our language learning opportunities compared with the ones of our parents

our language learning opportunities compared with the ones of our parents

by Deleted user -
Number of replies: 0

The gap between our generation and the one of our parents consists also in the different language learning opportunities we are given today. 

According to my mum, they had the oppotunity to study foreign languages at secondary school, but the range of possibilities was not as wide as it is nowadays. They could choose just between English or French, while, for example, I could choose to study Spanish at secondary school. Moreover, the hours dedicated to language learning were very few and teachers hadn't as many instruments as they have now,such as tape recorders, projectors or similar.

As regards university, it wasn't as accessible as today,since it was more expensive and not everybody could afford it. People preferred to work and to earn money, and just few people considered education useful. It clearly depended on the social status of people and the place where they lived. So, studying foreing languages at university was far more difficult than studying them at secondary school, which was at least compulsory.

But, in my opinion, what really makes the difference between our different language learning opportunities is the privilege to travel around the world. Thanks to globalisation distances have been reduced, so we can go to different countries and pick up the language very easily, practising it with local people. In addition, today travel is very cheap, thanks to the progressed means of transports and the generally increased wealth. Now, schools and universities organise exchange programmes that allow students to study abroad and to learn other languages,such as erasmus,interships or summer schools, like the one I attended this summer in Saint Petersburg.

In conclusion, i think we are undoubtedly more privileged than our parents.