How has leisure time changed over the years?

How has leisure time changed over the years?

by Deleted user -
Number of replies: 0

I think that it's interesting to notice that the Greek word meaning "leisure time" is σχολή (and the word "school" derives from it). This means that leisure time has changed a lot all over the centuries because nobody would think that school means free time nowadays. However, I think that the most remarkable changes in the way we spend our free time occurred in the last years with the improvement of technology. In fact, in the past people spent their spare time reading, going for a walk, hanging out with their friends, visiting their relatives and so on. Instead, nowadays we prefer to surf the Net or to have a chat with our friends on our smartphones rather than in person. We mostly like watching TV for long, listening to music, playing video games. This is evident for me if I compare the way I spend my free time with the way my parents did. They used to play with their friends in the city park or to go shopping with their parents. That's why they can't understand the way I spend my time and usually tell me: "You're always texting or surfing the Net on your phone. Stop for a while, please!".

In conclusion, I think that we all can spend our free time the way we like without forgetting that there's always something interesting and new to experience and to enjoy.