Week 13 tasks

Week 13 tasks

by Deleted user -
Number of replies: 1

Exercises:

Do all exercises except listening and speaking.

Discussion:

What is lifelong learning and how should we prepare people for it? Post your ideas in the discussion forum.

In reply to Deleted user

Lifelong learning

by naomi lattanzi -

Lifelong learning should be a reality for granted because it seems obvious that learning is prolonged along the entire span of our life. All of us know that we continue to learn, day by day, from our life experience, and this is a consciousness that existed in every era, from prehistory to now.

However, I think that the meaning of lifelong learning has changed nowadays, even better it has expanded. In fact, rather than referring only to the fatal accumulation of knowledge from experience, this expression concerns the necessity imposed by the world of work today to go back to school. In this way, lifelong learning is strongly related to the the difficulty of introducing ourselves in the job market to find a fixed employment. It couldn’t exist anymore the belief that in our youth we learn a skill that we will continue to exercise throughout life, because now there is no certainty that we could find the job which fits best to our studies. In this case we must be all-around: we should improve other skills we have and come back to learning if we want to survive in the world of work. I’m talking about the importance of being a “multitasking” worker.

Moreover, I support that lifelong learning isn’t useful only if we lose our job or if we can’t find the one we studied for, but it concerns also the situation of having a fixed employment. I mean that in these continuously changing times, in which there is an unstoppable progress of knowledge and technology, every job changes, even better it includes new skills and new attitudes. So if we want to keep ourselves up to date, we must continue to learn.

In conclusion, just to summarize, I think that it’s important to transmit at school a “multitasking” view of life and, most of all, of work so that children could grow up with this sensibleness. In concrete, people should have the opportunity to attend professional updated courses to maintain a high level of competition in job market throughout their life.