Weekly discussion 9

Weekly discussion 9

by lorenzo lastilla -
Number of replies: 0

I frequently find divergent opinions about the effects of graffiti on the shape of a certain place or building or public transport: for someone they’re just a sign of disrespect;  according to others they are a way of expression and they can also decorate walls. I don’t  completely agree with both of these views.

In my opinion, one of the causes because of which graffiti are so infamous is that they sometimes tend to make worse a situation which is terrible itself: for example, when we see a dirty wall surrounded by rubbish covering the sidewalk, or an old, dirty and noisy train, if we see them full of drawings and offensive sentences we may feel even more upset and frustrated (as the “Broken windows theory” suggests).

Recently, although, it is very usual to see in several cities experiments like “Street Art Roma”, guides for tourists or local inhabitants which show them paths to follow in order to see the most beautiful graffiti: this is a sign that this form of expression is considered, nowadays, as a potential form of art. This is an attempt to give value to graffiti and also a way to put it under the control of institutions.

I believe that is important to separate the link between graffiti and disrespect by operating in order to prevent situation of degradation, and also by creating spaces dedicated to this form of art, without a strict control which could suffocate free instinct and liberty of expression, so important for the vitality of the graffiti.