Week 9 tasks

Week 9 tasks

by Deleted user -
Number of replies: 2

Exercises

Do all exercises in unit 6 except listening and speaking.

Discussion

What do you think about graffiti? Is it art or vandalism?  Is it fair to judge? Should it be allowed or should it be punished? Post your opinions in the discussion forum. If you disagree with someone else's opinion, say why.

In reply to Deleted user

Graffiti: art or vandalism?

by naomi lattanzi -

Graffiti have existed since ancient times, in fact we can find examples dating back to Prehistory, Ancient Egypt, Ancient Greece, and the Roman Empire. In those ages they were considered art’s expressions and they usually were full of natural or social meanings, such as a good omen for the harvest or an expression of Egyptian Gods’ powers.  

Nowadays the situation is a bit different. I personally think that in most cases graffiti are still the same as in the past: a pure form of visual art that can express immediately, with the strength of colours and images, social, political o different themes. Moreover, they could be a solution to adorn the landscape, in particular to make devastated buildings more appreciable. 

However, on the other hand graffiti have to be considered vandalism when people create them to disfigure monuments or other buildings, representing pictures without meanings or purposes. 

So in conclusion, I think that it’s fair to punish the creators of “no sense graffiti”, but it should be allowed even better consecrated this type of art when it is used, with the property owners’ consent, to beautify a city, to tell its history or just to communicate something to citizens and tourists. 

In reply to Deleted user

Re: Week 9 tasks

by Deleted user -

Many people believe that graffiti is a mere act of vandalism, while I think it is  an unconventional and absolutely expressive form of art. 

I have always been fascinated by graffiti because of its colours and shades, but especially for the illusory simplicity that people think is necessary to create it. At a glance, graffiti might appear just drawings which shares something with cartoons or imitates them. Actually, making graffiti is extremely difficult and it needs technique, practice and, above all, talent.

Obviously, when I think of graffiti I don't mean those senseless signs wrote on the walls or on the outside of trains  by stupid people to mark the territory as if they were animals, or those writings which want to be romantic and turn to be pathetic. By saying graffiti I mean those elaborate drawings made to give splendour back to crumbling buildings or to convey concerned messages or to remember somebody who died. 

In my opinion, the former should be severely punished because it just ruins towns and anything else, while the latter must be not only allowed, but also encouraged like any other form of art, since it is an expression of creativity and it gives vitality to surroundings.