Genetics and Computational Genomics
The purpose of the course is to provide students with a deep understanding of the theoretical and practical tools to solve genetic problems. Fundamentals concepts in genetics, functioning and evolution will be reconsidered in light of the sequencing and re-sequencing projects. Computational genetics has been an important area of science since the discovery of the first sequencing method and advances in tools and techniques for data generation are rapidly increasing the amount of data available to researchers. During the course, students will learn to rely on computational and data science tools for the storage, management, analysis, and visualization of genetic data.
The course starts at the beginning of October and finish at middle December. Lectures are held 2 times per week in Aula di Psicologia, Wednesday and Friday at 14,00-16,00
THE CORSE WILL START ON WEDNESDAY THE 6th OF OCTOBER 2021
Module I (CIAPPONI)
This is an introduction to Genetics where the knowledge of the principles of heredity and their practical use in solving biological problems are provided.
- · Mendel’s principles of heredity and extensions to Mendel’s laws (6 hours)
- · The chromosome theory of inheritance
- · Anatomy and function of a gene
- · DNA mutations, chromosomal rearrangements and changes in chromosome number
- · Strategies of gene mapping
- · Bacterial genetic analysis
- · Genetics of sex determination
- · Cancer Genetics
Module II (TROMBETTA)
The second part of the course is an introduction to computational genomics aimed at applying the principles of heredity to populations and solving complex genomic problems with informatics tools.
- · Structure and variability of the human genome
- · Mathematical models of genetic evolution
- · Pedigree, gene mapping and gene association
- · Comparative genomic and models of filogenesis
- · Informatics analysis